1) Since LKY passing, I was reading on the history of Singapore and Malaysia after gaining independence from British. Generally most of South East Asian countries relatively new, were just gained independence from European colonists. It was an era of socialism vs capitalism and nationalism among most of the people. An era of each party represent their own nationalist agenda which UMNO representing Malay, PAP with their own Malaysian Malaysia. Even socialism and communism were promoted among certain quarters, notably left wing of early Utusan Melayu journalists.
2) LKY started his political career by having close contact with early leaders of Utusan Melayu. It's been exemplified when Yusuf Ishak (Utusan co-founder) was appointed as first president of Singapore. LKY is man of charisma with sheer determination, non nonsense approaches and using his iron grip approach to combat communism among its people. Clearly Singapore at that time really needs this type of leadership, otherwise Singapore might in ruins forever and will never be like today.
3) Consequently some his close friends during his early days in politic either were arrested and jailed or walked away. When the country was still fragile state after gaining independence, Malaysia and Singapore really need a single minded with an iron-fisted leadership. Otherwise Singapore or Malaysia cannot prosper and forever will be in the state of unrest.
4) As a person born in 1977 and started knowing this world when DrM already became PM of Malaysia, I am grateful and proud to have him as my PM. Growing up in 2 decades under the safe hand of DrM leadership is sorely missed - the fact that 2 leaderships after him failed to replicate.
5) After read the history of young Malaysia and Singapore, those leaders were so nationalist and pragmatist and not idealistic. They were up against socialism and communism proponents, but not subscribes capitalism blindly - it is a sheer pragmatism of the past leadership.
6) If current leadership, particularly current PM regards DrM as his mentor, he should follow this footstep. Look at what we have right now, do we in the state of stability politically and economically? No we don't, why is this thing happen? It is because of weak leadership and thirsty for political mileage that pitted us in this polemic. Most of decisions were made just for political mileage but lacked in long terms benefit. Thus it wasn't surprising BR1M was distributed to most of Malaysian in the hope it can be translated in real votes to BN in election - a bribe that failed in bringing votes to BN. Clearly it was a slap in the face to PM - that should wake him up from in the state of denial.
7) Series of blunders were made either by him or by his subordinate leaders. Most of all is 1MDB fiasco will never be easily forgotten and will resides in the people minds until next GE, and BN will bear the brunt - not the PM and his subordinate leaders. In the end people will also bear the brunt - not the politicians of both divides.
8) To lend LKY quote which described his strong minds;
“I ignore polling as a method of government. I think that shows a certain weakness of mind - an inability to chart a course whichever way the wind blows, whichever way the media encourages the people to go, you follow. If you can't force or are unwilling to force your people to follow you, with or without threats, you are not a leader.” – Lee Kuan Yew.
9) DrM probably more humane than LKY, but both of them are pragmatists with single minded approaches. A product of the past era that truly love their countries by giving their whole life devotions unconditionally.